Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesday: 3-1-17

Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesday is hosted by Kid Lit Frenzy.
I noticed years back that my classroom library was heavy on fiction. Since noticing the imbalance of fiction to nonfiction, I've remained on the lookout for engaging and diverse nonfiction titles. Here are some recent finds!

The Secret Project by Jonah Winter, illustrated by Jeanette Winter
Beach Lane Books, 2017
40 pages
Recommended for grades 4+

My lovely librarian handed this to me with a: You must read this! We were both moved by the simplicity in which this heavy topic was told. How much of a contradiction there was in the innocence and in the seriousness. A purposeful contradiction. How the illustrations so perfectly portray the setting, and how the final pages of darkness will evoke deep feelings.
No matter how old your students are, this would be a fantastic read aloud. It will surely spark much conversation around the Manhattan Project.


Ada Lovelace Poet of Science: The First Computer Programmer by Diane Stanley, 
illustrated by Jessie Hartland
Simon & Schuster, 2016
40 pages

I was excited to dive into this story, but soon found myself feeling as though it wasn't quite right. I was left wondering what ever came of Ada's first projects (did she build and test her wings, there were certainly many illustrations of what Ada dreamed the wings would do). Also, I predict young readers having little background knowledge to support their understanding of all the other famous scientists, authors, thinkers, etc. of the time, of which there are many mentions. And finally, when saying Ada was the first computer programmer, there are billboards for modern day movies, games and technologies. Now that will confuse some kids!

Six Dots: A Story of Young Louis Braille by Jen Bryant, illustrated by Boris Kulikov
Alfred A. Knopf, 2016
36 pages
Recommended for grades 3+

My goodness, I had no knowledge of how Louis Braille lost his sight, and finding out how (and when) broke my heart! What an amazing young man. A sure win for reading aloud.



Comments

  1. I enjoyed Six Dots very much, and look forward to reading/seeing The Secret Project. I've read other books about The Manhattan Project and am interested in this picture book approach. And I've read the other Ada Lovelace book, but not this one. Thanks for all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts