It's Monday! What are you Reading?


 Hosted by:


Happy Monday to you all.  This is my first ever "It's Monday! What Are You Reading?" I'm excited.

Today I am still in the thick of Storybound by Marissa Burt.  I have been thoroughly enjoying this book, and as one that has read a LOT of fantasy over the course of my 6 years reviewing books for the Maine Student Book Award Committee, that says something.  In Storybound protagonist Una finds herself "written in" to a tale in Story.  All the characters she meets there are...well...characters. 
The book has a Harry Potterish feel to it in that the kids are students at a boarding school, so we have the fun of little adult supervision, professors that are up to no go or seem to be up to no good, etc.  At a tad over 400 pages it is perfect for the readers that like beefy books.  
Storybound, by Marissa Burt.  Harper, 2012 (Gr. 5-7) 403 pages

Added bonus to Monday's reading~ I was pleased to come home to find this on my doorstep.  Little, Brown and Company sent this:

The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell, by Chris Colfer.  Little, Brown and Company, 2012 (438 pages)
What's really funny is the similarities in these books.  I might not be able to read back-to-back stories about a boy and girl in the land of story characters.  

Just flipped to check out the author's photo on the back flap (one of my favorite things to do) and see that this is the guy that plays Kurt Hummel on Glee.   What?!

* The cover of this book lends itself to younger readers, length to sophisticated readers, however I just skimmed through and read a line with a swear in it.  I'm not sure if Chris has a clear sense of what readership he is targeting...  The fold-out jacket flap in the front is pretty awesome though, so he nailed that.

I would love to hear your thoughts on either of these books if you've read them!

Best,
Nicole


Comments

Popular Posts