It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 10-20-14

Thanks to our dynamic hosts: Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kelle at Unleashing Readers.
Head to either blog to find reviews as well as dozens of links to other blogs filled with reviews!
It seems harder to carve out time to sit down to share my recent readings. The reading still happens, but admittedly, isn't happening in the same volume it used to. The reading also looks a little different...
So, blogging might slow down for now, but I'm still here, reading and living the good life :)
So, here's what's been going on lately:

Books I've Recently Read:

The Last Wild by Piers Torday
Viking, 2014
Fantasy/Science-Fiction
322 pages
Recommended for grades 4-7

I love the cover of this book. There is such beauty and mystery, simple yet thought-provoking.
This story is set in a bleak future where animals have all died off from the "red eye" or been killed by humans in hopes of stopping the spread of the deadly virus.  Young Kester has been living in an institution, separated from his father following the death of his mother. Kester hasn't spoken in years, and lives a miserable life. Until one day he discovers that he can communicate with animals. Animals! Known as the Wild, there are some animals still living in the woods, desperate for Kester's help. Young readers will ponder over the possibility of a world without animals and fresh food, and will be whisked along on this fast paced, and sometimes dangerous, journey.


Nightmares by Jason Segel and Kristen Miller
Delacorte Press, 2014
Fantasy
355 pages
Recommended for grades 3-7

This book caught my eye while I was in Target buying diapers. I just couldn't pass it by!
Then I noticed it was co-written by actor Jason Segel-who I love! However, whenever I see a book written by a Hollywood actor I become slightly hesitant.
The verdict: it will be entertaining to young readers. 
I was not anticipating the sadness tucked within these pages though. Main character Charlie has recently lost  his mother to cancer. Charlie's father has re-married, and the family has moved into the stepmother's mansion. Charlie is haunted with nightmares each night, and eventually finds himself in the Netherworld, the land of nightmares. I wasn't quite prepared for the reality of what scares Charlie. I will admit, I found myself crying more than once while reading. Maybe it's the new mom in me-I'm not sure how kids will react.



The Fourteenth Goldfish by Jennifer L. Holm
Random House Books, 2014
Science Fiction
208 pages
Recommended for grades 4-8

Ellie is a typical middle-school girl, dealing with typical middle-school girl issues. Except for her newest issue, the one where her grandfather shows up in her house as his middle-school self!
Ellie's grandfather, Melvin, is a scientist, and he's developed a formula to reverse aging. Before things can be sorted out, Melvin needs to fly under the radar, which means acting as Ellie's long-lost cousin and joining her at school.
Through this strange experience Ellie comes to see not only her grandfather, but also the field of science, in a new light.


I'm Currently Reading:


Thanks for stopping by!

Enjoy this gorgeous season!

This photo was taken today by my friend Molly, as a group of us enjoyed a walk around Bowdoin College's campus.
New England is so vibrant right now!





Comments

  1. Gorgeous fall picture and gorgeous baby! I think I need to read The Last Wild - I had marked it as TBR but now, reading your review and watching the trailer, I'm convinced. Just requested it from my library. Thanks! I also just picked up The Fourteenth Goldfish so that is soon to be read on my list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved The 14th. Goldfish, too - it's been in nonstop circulation in my classroom ever since our copy arrived. Looking forward to getting The Last Wild - sounds very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely the time of year when I miss living in New England! (I lived in NH for 8 years on a dirt road lined with sugar maples.) Thanks for sharing that photo! I really enjoyed The 14th Goldfish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Nicole, the book cover of Saving Lucas Biggs looks gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the baby photo - looks like a gorgeous child! :) Enjoy your time with your little one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts