It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 10-10-16

Thanks to our dynamic hosts: Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kelle at Unleashing Readers. Head to either blog to find reviews as well as dozens of links to other blogs filled with reviews!

Autumn in New England is one of my most favorite things. And this weekend I breathed in the fall air, reveling in the feeling of crisp cool air, and warm comforting sunshine. The balance was perfect today. Which made it a wonderful day to break in the new sandbox!

Books I've Recently Read:

Pug Meets Pig by Sue Lowell Gallion
Illustrated by Joyce Wan
Beach Lane Books, 2016
Recommended for ages 0-7

Adorable pictures compliment this story of a pug that is put out by the new addition to the family!
Want to win the book or grab some resources to use with kids, check out this post.

Quirk's Quest: Into the Outlands by Robert Christie & Deborah Lang
First Second, 2016
Fantasy/Graphic Novel
127 pages
Recommended for grades 4-6

This story will appeal to readers that like high fantasy and stories with action packed pace. 
When Quirk and his crew are shipwrecked on unknown lands, danger is high and a way out is unknown. The crew is surrounded by new creatures, unsure of who is safe to trust, and who is out to get them. The illustrations remind me of fraggles (does this date me?) with a touch of the Simpsons. The story sets itself up to lead right into the second book in the series. I do have some qualms about the book though: many of the words used and names chosen might trip up some readers. The story is not as deep as the language might play up. The cursive script used in the Captain's log is also a potential pitfall for some readers.

Anything But Ordinary Addie: The True Story of Adelaide Herrmann Queen of Magic by Mara Rockliff, illustrated by Iacopo Bruno
Candlewick Press, 2016
Picture Book Biography
44 pages
Recommended for grades 2+

Stunning illustrations! The author explains how this book was born after she went looking for books on female stage magicians for her daughter to read, and discovered that none existed! From that sad fact comes a gorgeous tribute to one of the greatest female magicians of all time. Addie is an inspiration in more than her magic-she is a survivor, a woman that perseveres through hardship, coming out stronger on the other side. A biography to be shared!

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two
by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany & Jack Thorne
Arthur A. Levine Books, 2016
Fantasy/Play
Recommended for anyone who didn't love the original books

I don't have much I want to share on this. I wish I hadn't read it, that's sort of the extent of it. I wanted so much more from my reunion with the original characters. I do NOT think scripts are my preferred style of writing. I want the meaty descriptions, not some stage notes. Aside from that, the story was flatter than I'd hoped for as well. The idea is excellent, the execution fell flat for me.

I'm Currently Reading:

Still...I was sidetracked by my ghost story!

Loving it!

Have a great week, thanks for stopping by!

Comments

  1. Pug Meets Pig looks too adorable, I need to get a copy in my hands right away! I have such a soft spot for pugs. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts