It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 4-3-17


Thanks to our dynamic hosts: Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kelle at Unleashing Readers. Head to either blog to find reviews as well as dozens of links to other blogs filled with reviews and recommendations!

Books I Read this Week:

The Girl with the Ghost Machine by Lauren DeStefano
Bloomsbury, 2017
211 pages (ARC)
Sci-fi/fantasy
Recommended for grades 4-7

More to come on this title in the future, closer to publication. What I've got to say for now: Sad. Sad, sad, sad. Starts off sad, then punches you in the gut with more sad! Heavy, serious things to ponder beneath all that sad.

The Amazing Crafty Cat by Charise Mericle Harper
First Second, 2017
Realistic Fiction/Graphic Novel
123 pages
Recommended for grades 2-5

Readers will think this crafty cat is in fact, a cat, but will soon be surprised to see that beneath those kitty ears is a young girl named Birdie. When Birdie dresses as Crafty Cat she gets into the crafting zone, which can help her problem solve (when a foodie disaster strikes) or delight her classmates (to salvage a birthday celebration). The back includes the projects made my Crafty Cat in this volume. More to come from this author!

I'm Currently Reading:


Thanks for stopping by!




Comments

  1. Oh my goodness, I know a lot of kids who will be drawn to Crafty Cat - crafting is huge among the kids at my library!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm ... I have some kids in a "sad book" phase. Sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be perfect for kids in that phase! I remember a year when I had a young girl obsessed with sad, heavy books.

      Delete
  3. A new Lauren DeStefano book?! Yes! But SAD... I'll have to be in the mood, but sometimes a sad book is just what you need.

    Happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a good "hide in your classroom at lunchtime so you can read your book because you can't wait to get back into it, only to realize that you are going to be a hot mess when the kids come back because it is THAT rough."

      Delete
  4. Crafty Cat looks awesome. I love this author. So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crafty Cat is calling my name somehow! I will definitely pass on The Girl with the Ghost Machine. We don't need more sad. I have noticed that authors seem to be killing off more grandparents than parents this year, which is certainly much more realistic for middle school students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't encountered the shift in grandparents versus parents dying, but I have certainly encountered much loss in the books I've read lately.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts