It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 10-28-19

Thanks to our dynamic hosts: Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kelle at Unleashing Readers. Head to either blog to find reviews as well as dozens of links to other blogs filled with reviews and recommendations!

Books I've Recently Read:

Filigree's Midnight Ride (At the Heels of History series) by Pam Berkman & Dorothy Hearst
illustrated by Claire Powell
Margaret K. McElderry Books, August 2019
186 pages
Historical Fantasy
Recommended for grades 3-6

From the back of the book: "Join Filigree, a patriotic Pomeranian, as he helps Paul Revere on the legendary midnight ride."

Berkman and Hearst based their tale about a small Pomeranian aiding Revere on his famous ride on the 1775 deposition report written by Revere himself. And while it might not be true that Revere had a Pomeranian, it's fun to learn about America history through the eyes of this small, fluffy hero!

Malamander by Thomas Taylor, illustrated by Tom Booth
Walker Books, September 2019 (U.S. edition)
290 pages
Fantasy
Recommended for grades 4+

It was the cover that drew this one off the shelf to me. That gold embossed title, what is a Malamander? That iridescent eye, and those emerald scales. What's not to love here? A quick peek at the back reveals the perfect setting: Eerie-on-Sea, a seaside town that is mysterious, dangerous, and full of a cast of characters you won't soon forget.

Legend has it the Malamander lays a single magical egg once a year, and if you can steal it, your wish will be granted. But the malamander is a fearsome creature you won't want to find yourself face to face with. And if you do, you probably won't live to remember it...

Young Herbert Lemon works as the Lost-and-Founder at the Grand Nautilus Hotel, a place that makes the story feels decades old, but is maybe really today.

I love the adventure and the creativity, the characters and the setting. And most of all, I love that the second ARC just arrived on my doorstep. I will be hosting an Instagram and blog giveaway soon!

The Hippo at the End of the Hall by Helen Cooper
Candlewick Press, October 2019 (U.S. Edition)
352 pages
Fantasy
Recommended for grades 3-5

What it comes down to is that young Ben Makepeace needs to save a family legacy, a natural history museum. What is revealed is that this natural museum is full of the supernatural! A few beloved taxidermy animals, animals that were collected and adored by Ben's unknown relatives, have a sort of life after death, and they need Ben to save their home and their own fates.

Ben discovers a history of himself, and of long ago family, and finds within a courage he didn't know he had.

The cover art is enticing, and the quirkiness to the story will keep the pages turning!

Red Rover: Curiosity on Mars by Richard Ho, illustrated by Katherine Roy
Roaring Brook Press, October 2019
44 pages
Nonfiction Picture Book
Recommended for grades K-3

Stunning and informative!
I am a HUGE fan of Katherine Roy (think Neighborhood Sharks)!

I love the duality to this story. It can be read and enjoyed by the younger crowd at one level, and older readers can take it further with the pages of information in the back of the book that outline more facts about Mars and go deeper into the history-and future-of the our exploration of Mars.

The double page foldouts in the center of the book signal a change in perspective, which is pretty cool. 

I can't wait to share this with my 3rd graders!

I'm Currently Reading:

Which should probably have been titled Super, Super Dark and Super, Super Scary Stories for Young Foxes, but that was possibly too long...
Because-EEEK
So obviously I'm loving it.

I'm also reading bunches of picture books for my Cybils judging!
Follow me on Instagram to see my stacks!

Thanks for stopping by, and happy reading!

Comments

  1. I enjoyed Malamander very much & look forward to that next one! The Hippo at the End of the Hall sounds fun, love museum stories! Thanks, Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you have been reading an eclectic selections of books. The Hippo at the End of the Hall is a compelling title. This is what I'm reading today

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard wonderful things about Malamander and look forward to getting to read it for myself! And ooooh, I'm going to go see if we have Red Rover anywhere nearby because our family is fascinated with space travel and Mars exploration. Thank you for being a Cybil's judge, Nicole. I know it's a ton of work, but I'm so grateful to everyone for putting in the time and effort. Have a wonderful reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Malamander is really unique! I look forward to the second!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to check out Malamander and Red Rover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a copy of Malamander in a pile to read right now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts